A couple months ago I decided to take a break from the keto lifestyle because it appeared I had fallen into the binge cycle of restriction. An unhealthy outlook on eating better. So I spent the two months trying to get my mindset back to focusing on eating better for reasons that aren’t related to vanity and unrealistic expectations.
I worked on the recovery and putting my mindset right again. It was about correcting my brain from being an all or nothing and fixing that low self-esteem towards my body.
But I’m back at the keto diet again. This time it’s not about weight loss at all. I really enjoy the keto diet and I enjoy the side effects it gives me. Its actually already easier to follow the keto diet.
Reasons I’m following a keto lifestyle…
- My skin; I get these head sores (I believe are from gluten which I really need to go get blood work done but my doctor told me the one day just stay away from gluten if it helps). I also have bad acne when I ate carbs that take forever to heal. My hair and nails also become more healthier when I’m in ketosis.
- Inflammation and sore joints; when I’m in ketosis my body feels more free-ing. Like there isn’t this weight crushing me down.
- Thyroid…so after two months of not following keto my TSH actually doubled. Fatigue was coming back and my appetite was crazy.
- Hypertension; I’ve been having blood pressure issues, it’s getting better but I still am having issues. I really don’t want to go on blood pressure medicine.
- Mental Health; when I follow the keto diet my mood is more easily manageable. I struggle from ADHD and if it goes unchecked it can be very difficult to deal with.
- Bloating; my favorite reason, I feel like I bloat so easily
- Digestive System; my dad struggles with food sensitivities and I believe I’m developing the same kind.
- Lower appetite means less food which means less spending on food
I will not be weighing myself (only at my doctor’s appointments). The point of living the keto lifestyle is for my body and mind but not my looks. I feel like if I take away the pressure of some kind of end goal then I’ll be more successful.
I think this is why I don’t feel the keto diet is a diet since it provides more than just weight loss. And with how much chemicals are added to food now a days I would love to be able to control my eating habits a bit more.
Basically, I will eat whatever I want as long as it’s keto friendly. There are so many substitutions also. And if I want to eat something non-keto friendly its not the end of the world.
There’s no end goal and there are only victories along the way.
Leave a Reply